Dental Hygienist - Job Description
- Check treatment rooms for cleanliness; make necessary changes
- Check and set-up treatment room equipment and workstation (Log-in to computer/Dentrix) Review patient charts/huddle 15 minutes prior to beginning day.
- Clean treatment rooms after each visit by discarding all disposable items, assembling soiled instruments, and placing them in sterilization area and cleaning treatment room surfaces with disinfectant solution
- Presoak soiled instruments and place them in an ultrasonic cleaner tank
- Package and load instruments into the proper sterilizer
- Store instruments in appropriate places
- Clean up treatment rooms at the end of the day; turn off equipment
- Maintain a supply inventory for treatment rooms (primarily hygiene operatory)
- Inform dental assistant of any supplies that require re-ordering
- Make an annual clean-up of storage areas for the practice
- Carefully review patient medical and dental history forms
- Prepare patients for treatment; explain scheduled treatments to patients
- Communicate with patients in a clear and professional manner
- Patient treatment according to schedule (with exceptions)
- Alert dentist/assistants when patient is ready for dentist exam.
- Set ‘Complete’ patient treatment & services.
- Complete patient treatment notes accurately for the day.
- Accurately chart each patient’s periodontal health
- Provide thorough and gentle prophylaxis to patients
- Perform scaling, root planning and selective polishing for designated patients
- Provide radiographs for patients as prescribed by the dentist
- Provide topical fluoride applications for designated patients
- Escort patients to the front office after visits
- Specify next recall or appointment recommendation (3, 4, 6-month recare or periodontal maintenance, fillings etc.)
- Ensure any prescriptions are signed by dentist and specialist referrals are written and given to patient
- Provide post-treatment instructions and materials to patients
- Assist dentist with other hygiene appointments if time permits and dentist is running behind of schedule
- During down time
- Stock carts
- Fill water bottles
- Help assistants turn-over rooms
- Empty trash
Clerical (if time permits)
- Maintain daily phone list of patients who require follow-up call by dentist (after work call back)
- Assist the receptionist and business administrator with telephone as needed.